Many people, both celebrities and otherwise, have expressed an interest in forgoing the showy gestures and having a quiet Valentine’s Day, believing that just being with the person (or persons!) they care about is more than enough. For such people, a popular choice for a night in is to cuddle on the couch with some popcorn and watch a romantic film, a choice that’s even easier now thanks to Netflix and other streaming options. But what to pick, with so many Valentine’s Day movies 2016 has to offer? Well don’t worry, we’re here for you. In no particular order, here’s a list of 11 Valentine’s Day movies to watch this year.
1. Dirty Dancing (1987): Starring Jennifer Grey and Patrick Swayze in the role he’s never been entirely able to escape, this 1987 drama is about a girl from an affluent family stuck at a resort for the summer, only to fall in love with its working-class dance instructor. If you want to skip ahead to the film’s final dance sequence, we won’t blame you; lots of people do that.
2. How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days (2003): Matthew McConaughey stars as an advertising exec who has to make a woman fall in love with him in 10 days to score a big client, while Kate Hudson plays a magazine writer tasked with writing an article called, “How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days.” The two meet and the game is on.
3. The Age of Adaline (2015): The newest of the Valentine’s Day movies to watch on this list, The Age of Adaline features Blake Lively as a woman born in the early 1900s who becomes immortal. Initially spending her endless life alone and on the run, she meets Michiel Huisman’s character in the present day, who makes her think at least trying to live a normal life may be worth a shot.
4. Casablanca (1942): This one is still long considered by many as the greatest movie of all time, and for good reason. Casablanca stars Humphrey Bogart, who re-encounters his former lover, played by Ingrid Bergman, and has to deal with the repercussions of their reunion. If you’re into classics, Casablanca should definitely be on your list of Valentine’s Day movies to watch in 2016.
5. Titanic (1997): Truth be told, you’ve probably seen this already; after all, it’s the second-highest grossing film of all time. But if for some reason you and/or your significant other haven’t yet seen Titanic, the doomed love story between Leonardi DiCaprio and Kate Winslet on the fated ocean liner holds up just as well today, almost two decades after it first released (and over 100 years since the real-life boat sank).
6. Forgetting Sarah Marshall (2008): Because romance films can be comedies too! This film starring Jason Segel, Kristen Bell, and Mila Kunis about a man who goes on vacation to get over being dumped, only for his ex to stay at the same resort, is sure to make you both smile.
7. Jerry Maguire (1996): It can be easy to forget that this movie even has a romance plot attached, but the relationship between Tom Cruise’s titular sports agent and Renée Zellweger’s character, the only person to leave their old firm with him, is at the crux of this drama.
8. You’ve Got Mail (1998): This one stars Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan as business rivals who despise each other, but then fall in love through the anonymity of the internet. This movie is more relevant now, with the increase in people meeting via online dating, than when it first released in 1998. Also, fun fact: the film’s archaic official web site is still up!
9. The Notebook (2004): A movie long considered beloved by romantic women and loathed by men who care too much about their masculinity, The Notebook stars Ryan Gosling and Rachel McAdams as a 1940s couple whose romance is hampered by their difference in social status, he being a country boy and her being an heiress. This movie is so romantic that even its lead stars started dating after filming it.
10. Pretty Woman (1990): Julia Roberts and Richard Gere star in one of the most popular rom-coms of all time about a man who falls in love with a prostitute he uses to keep up appearances at social events. And to think, it was originally going to be a darker movie about the dangers of working in the sex trade! Fortunately, it ended up being one of the most popular Valentine’s Day movies to watch, even today.
11. Deadpool (2016): If your or your loved one isn’t very up-to-date on movie news and you think you can get away with it, Friday’s Deadpool has released ads promoting it as a traditional cliché love story between Ryan Reynolds and Morena Baccarin. In fact, the ads are so effective that a few people have already fallen for it, despite it being in the middle of the film’s promotional blitz. As a result, it’s definitely one of the potential top Valentine’s Day movies 2016 has to offer, despite it not being a romance at all.