Why do celebrities keep dating and marrying other celebs when so many relationships end poorly? Perhaps it’s because nobody else can understand what comes with being in the spotlight, or maybe they’re just attracted to other people who share their luxurious lifestyle. Whatever the reason, 2015 has been host to a number of recent celebrity breakups. While some splits were a long time coming, others were completely unexpected. From musicians to reality stars, here are some of the most shocking celebrity breakups from the past year.
- Blake Shelton and Miranda Lambert: Making it over four years, the country music couple called it quits in July, with their statement to the press and public explaining, “This is not the future we envisioned.” Sounds pretty final! There were also unfortunately rumors of cheating, which is often the case in many of the worst celebrity breakups. On the plus side, divorce is a popular topic for country music songs, so it gives both of them some material for their next hit singles!
- Kourtney Kardashian and Scott Disick: After a whopping nine years of dating—not marriage, dating—and three kids, Scott Disick decided he no longer wanted to keep up with the Kardashian sister and went partying in France with an ex, which eventually led to Kourtney ending their relationship after pictures surfaced of him and the ex-girlfriend getting a little too close. Disick since went to rehab, while Kourtney Kardashian has taken every opportunity to flaunt her fit (and naked) body on social media.
- Sean Penn and Charlize Theron: So much for the relationship being “effortless!” This celebrity couple called off their engagement in June after first getting together in December 2013. That their relationship became one of the biggest celebrity breakups is even more unfortunate when you consider that the two were friends for decades before trying to turn it into something more.
- Ben Affleck and Jennifer Garner: “Bennifer” seemed like it was sure to pass the test of time, but instead became one of the biggest celebrity breakups in recent memory. (This one might actually top many people’s list of the most shocking celebrity breakups.) The couple called it quits in June, just one day after their anniversary; perhaps something happened that day that made it clear they were done. It’s been a few months since they split and Ben Affleck at least seems to be doing OK; after all, Batman has always been a loner by nature.
- Gwen Stefani and Gavin Rossdale: Despite a whopping (by Hollywood standards) 13 years of marriage, the musician couple saw an end to their marriage in 2015. However, Stefani called the split “a long time coming,” explaining that she believed Rossdale had been cheating on her for years with the family’s nanny. If nothing else, the split was mutually agreed upon and they sought joint custody of their children. Stefani is now reportedly dating someone else on this list of recent celebrity breakups—her co-judge on The Voice, Blake Shelton.
- Megan Fox and Brian Austin Green: The parents to two boys called an end to their decade-long relationship in August. They’d already been essentially living separate lives for months beforehand, so everyone could see it coming, but it was still one of 2015’s worst celebrity breakups—although maybe not for all of the other guys who have their heart set on one day landing Megan Fox for themselves.
- Emma Stone and Andrew Garfield: Well, at least their relationship ended better in real life than it did in The Amazing Spider-Man 2. The pair tried taking a sabbatical from each other and looked as if they’d patched things up, but unfortunately, it wasn’t meant to last.
- Avril Lavigne and Chad Kroeger: One of the most shocking celebrity breakups was announced by Avril Lavigne via Instagram, where she posted the news that she and the Nickelback guitarist/singer were through. However, she added, “Through not only the marriage, but the music as well, we’ve created many unforgettable moments. We are still, and forever will be, the best of friends, and will always care deeply for each other.”