With all of the celebrity scandal headlines and popular star breakups we’ve seen in recent months, you can’t be expected to have remembered it all. Or have you? Let’s test that knowledge and refresh some memories by looking back at the stars that generated the most buzz over the past year. The following are the 14 most memorable celebrity news stories of 2015.
1. Rachel Dolezal’s race scandal: A civil rights activist and former president of a chapter of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP), Rachel Dolezal made headlines when she claimed to be the victim of hate crimes, until her parents revealed her to be a white person falsely claiming to be African-American. The scandal generated a lot of buzz about race and ethnicity in popular culture.
2. The Kardashians: It was a busy year for one of the world’s most famous (and arguably most popular) families, but is that any different from the buzz they stirred up in 2014? That said, the biggest headlines and most memorable moments of 2015 for this particular family would have to be the breakup of Kourtney Kardashian and Scott Disick; the birth of Kim Kardashian and Kanye West’s second child, Saint; and, of course, Bruce Jenner’s transition into Caitlyn Jenner.
3. Tom Brady and Deflategate: The name for the investigation into possible ball tampering by the New England Patriots during the AFC Championship game (they’re easier to throw and catch when deflated), the scandal tainted the Patriots and saw star player Tom Brady suspended for four games for his part in it.
4. Josh Duggar molestation scandal: Josh Duggar, star of the TLC reality show 19 Kids and Counting, was revealed to have molested five young girls—and what’s worse, that included his own sisters. Needless to say, TLC cancelled the show soon after.
5. Ariana Grande’s anti-America comments: In one of the weirder, but still most memorable news stories of 2015, the singer was seen licking donuts before declaring, “I hate Americans. I hate America.” She later apologized, saying she was proud of her country, but just upset at how Americans eat without thinking about their health. Guess her fans are pretty forgiving; most people wouldn’t still have a career, at least not a very popular one, after saying they hate America!
6. The death of Bobbi Kristina Brown: Not only was this one of the most memorable moments of 2015, but it was also one of the most heartbreaking. The daughter of Whitney Houston was found unresponsive in January and put into a medically induced coma. Unfortunately, she ultimately passed away in July. The cause is still classified, though there was said to be no evidence of drugs or alcohol. That being said, many headlines speculated that her boyfriend, Nick Gordon, had something to do with her death.
7. Charlie Sheen: In November, the former Two and a Half Men star revealed that he was HIV positive and has been for at least four years, attributing his past “meltdowns” to his reaction upon getting the news. He also said he has paid over $10 million to people extorting him to keep his diagnosis private and that he was certain he didn’t infect any bedmates, all of whom he told; some claimed otherwise.