Fans of The Walking Dead were in for a surprise when Johnny Depp kind of made a cameo appearance in the last episode—well, sort of. In a scene that featured three severed heads, one of them was apparently made to resemble the famed Hollywood actor. Although Depp didn’t actually have anything to do with the part, playing a dead walker on The Walking Dead wouldn’t be that far of a stretch for him, considering some of the other outrageous characters he’s played in the past, including everything from a deranged pirate to a beloved fairy tale character.
Despite being one of the most recognized faces in Hollywood, not to mention a successful musician in his own right, Johnny Depp has undoubtedly reached the epitome of fame. With a career spanning over 30 years, the actor has had to deal with all aspects of his life being in the spotlight—his relationships, family, and any and everything else to do with his personal life is often thrust into the spotlight and subject to endless media scrutiny. That being said, the actor has been very vocal about not only his career, but also what it’s like being a world-famous superstar. Here are some of the most iconic Johnny Depp quotes about life, fame, and how he’s made it this far.
- “It’s been insane. From Whitey Bulger to the Mad Hatter, you can imagine the schizophrenia.”
- “I think the thing to do is enjoy the ride while you’re on it.”
- “I like the challenge of trying different things and wondering whether it’s going to work or whether I’m going to fall flat on my face.”
- “People say I make strange choices, but they’re not strange for me. My sickness is that I’m fascinated by human behavior, by what’s underneath the surface, by the worlds inside people.”
- “If there’s any message to my work, it is ultimately that it’s OK to be different, that it’s good to be different, that we should question ourselves before we pass judgment on someone who looks different, behaves different, talks different, is a different color.”
- “I think it’s an actor’s responsibility to change every time. Not only for himself and the people he’s working with, but for the audience. If you just go out and deliver the same dish every time… it’s meat loaf again… you’d get bored. I’d get bored.”
- “I’m shy, paranoid, whatever word you want to use. I hate fame. I’ve done everything I can to avoid it.”
- “With any part you play, there is a certain amount of yourself in it. There has to be, otherwise it’s just not acting. It’s lying.”
- “With my kids, they’re told 75 times a day that they’re loved. One thing I know is they feel loved and secure and happy and needed and necessary and a part of something.”
- “There’s a drive in me that won’t allow me to do certain things that are easy.”