With not a single show under her belt that has failed, Shonda Rhimes is the undisputed queen of entertainment. Netflix lured this creative genius from ABC in 2017. Shonda Rhimes net worth in 2018 estimated at $120.0 million, according to sources. But, could this figure increase with Shonda Rhimes’ Netflix deal?
Shonda Rhimes is the greatest modern storyteller. The TGIT empress and entertainment mogul’s star continues to rise.
It’s no wonder that Netflix stole this writer from ABC, and unabashedly so. Credited with the revival of ABC’s entertainment attraction, Shondaland will now cash in on the online streaming platform.
With some of the most successful TV shows under her belt, Shonda Rhimes is $120.0 million rich. Could this number get higher with new shows coming on Netflix courtesy of Rhimes?
Here’s how you make money in Shondaland.
How Much Is Shonda Rhimes Worth?
– Shonda Lynn Rhimes was born on January 13, 1970, in Chicago, Illinois; she is the youngest of six children.
– Rhimes attended Dartmouth College where she majored in English and film studies; she graduated with a bachelor’s degree in 1991.
– In college, Rhimes joined the Black Underground Theater Association, wrote for the college newspaper, spent time writing fiction, as well as directed and performed in student productions.
– After graduating, Shonda Rhimes briefly worked in advertising before moving to California to study screenwriting at USC; she acquired a Master of Fine Arts degree from the USC School of Cinematic Arts.
– Rhimes started as an intern for TV producer Debra Martin Chase; she also worked in Denzel Washington’s company, Mundy Lane Entertainment.
– As a struggling screenwriter, Rhimes worked a variety of jobs, which included being an office administrator and counselor.
– In 2001, Shonda Rhimes wrote Crossroads, Britney Spears’ debut movie; he followed it with co-writing Princess Diaries 2.
– Rhimes was a hospital volunteer in her youth, which inspired her to write about hospital environments.
– ABC rejected Rhimes first pitch on female war correspondents but was sold on the idea of Grey’s Anatomy; the show moved from Sundays to Thursdays and became Rhimes’ juggernaut show.
– Rhimes has since created shows centered around strong female characters like Grey’s Anatomy spin-off Private Practice starring Kate Walsh, Scandal starring Kerry Washington, and How to Get Away with Murder starring Viola Davis.
– Shonda Rhimes made Ellen Pompeo a star who now commands a $20.0 million salary for Grey’s Anatomy; is now among the highest paid TV actors.
– Rhimes founded her TV production company, Shondaland, where she runs her writers’ room without interfering, then collects the best ideas from her talented team to pitch a storyline.
– As an author, Shonda Rhimes books include At the Crossroads (2002), Year of Yes: How to Dance It Out, Stand In the Sun and Be Your Own Person (2015), and The Year of Yes Journal (2016).
– Right before signing a Netflix deal, Rhimes purchased a house in Los Angeles worth $4.59 million.
– Shonda Rhimes houses in Hancock Park, Los Angeles, are worth $1.66 million and $5.6 million; she purchased another house worth $8.8 million in 2014.
Here’s how Shonda Rhimes’ net worth compares to other screenwriters on TV:
|Shonda Rhimes’ net worth||$120.0 million|
|Ryan Murphy||$20.0 million (6 times larger)|
|Damon Lindelof||$35.0 million (3.4 times larger)|
|Marta Kauffman||$200.0 million (1.6 times smaller)|
|David Crane||$200.0 million (1.6 times smaller)|
|Chuck Lorre||$800.0 million (6.6 times smaller)|
|Matt Groening||$500.0 million (4.16 times smaller)|
|Steven Levitan||$200.0 million (1.6 times smaller)|
|Brad Falchuk||$20.0 million (6 times larger)|
|Christopher Lloyd||$50.0 million (2.4 times larger)|
|Lee Aronsohn||$10.0 million (12 times larger)|
A New Chapter for Rhimes
– Shonda Rhimes signed a multi-year development deal with Netflix in August 2017; her TGIT lineup on ABC remains intact, and several of Rhimes’ projects for ABC are in the works.
– The screenwriter’s contract with ABC was set to expire in 2018, and she reportedly intimidated the network’s execs about her plans to move on to a new phase in her career.
– The deal works for both ABC and Netflix; the streaming giant has funneled $6.0 million in creating original content instead of licensing it from networks.
– Rhimes’ enthusiastic fanbase flocks to stream her shows; Netflix already has streaming rights to past seasons of Grey’s Anatomy and Scandal.
– Disney, ABC’s parent company, will use Rhimes’ departure as an opportunity to tap into newer talent; it will also reduce the availability of its shows on Netflix and promote a streaming subscription service of its own.
– The TV producer and screenwriter reportedly made $10.0 million a year and more with ABC in back-end fees every time Shonda Rhimes’ TV shows were syndicated or licensed to streaming services.
The financial details of Shonda Rhimes’ Netflix details are not disclosed at this time.