Kate Gosselin has a very busy life raising eight kids (a set of twins and a set of sextuplets) and if you’ve ever watched her show, you know it’s not easy. The extra large family has been on our screens since 2009, documenting the lives of the kids growing up. Now, as they’ve all turned into teenagers, there is more happening with every advancing episode. But with Kate Gosselin’s net worth estimated at just $200,000, many are wondering how she does it. Teenagers are expensive and we’ve got the scoop on how she makes it work.
Kate Gosselin has made most of her net worth through the hit TV show, Kate Plus 8. The show began following the lives of Kate and her husband Jon (and their two daughters, Maddy and Cara.) But after trying for a third (using fertility treatments), Kate was surprised to learn she was pregnant with six! Thus, the birth of the hit TLC show, Jon & Kate Plus 8 in 2007. For years, the show documented the lives of the Gosselin family and how they were managing with all those children. Kate herself turned into quite the famous mom, which came with problems of its own. Jon and Kate began their downward spiral to a very public divorce (with reports of Jon cheating), and Kate was seemingly left to raise the kids mostly on her own.
How Rich Is Reality TV Mom, Kate Gosselin in 2018?
- It was a huge celebration at the Gosselin household when, four years after giving birth to twins, Kate and her then-husband Jon welcomed sextuplets in 2004. That made a total of eight kids, which meant expenses were eight times more! (It was a good thing she received $22,000 as child support from Jon Gosselin after the divorce.)
- In 2005, prior to landing their own reality series, Gosselin and her husband were shown on the Discovery Health Channel in a one-hour special. There were two such episodes aired on TV with the whole family named, Surviving Sextuplets and Twins and Sextuplets and Twins: One Year Later.
- It was in 2007 that Jon and Kate agreed to have their lives filmed ’round the clock on Jon & Kate Plus 8, unaware the show would become such a massive hit.
- The couple’s divorce was finalized in 2009, and though Jon & Kate Plus 8 was no more, Kate continued the show without Jon and it was retitled Kate Plus 8 on June 6, 2010.
- Kate was reportedly earning around $250,000 per episode of her show Kate Plus 8 on TLC at that time.
- This meant that she was earning a whopping $2.0 million to $3.0 million per season of the entertaining reality show, but her family’s expenses (and reportedly a lot of her own for hair, makeup, and cosmetic surgery) were taking up a lot of that income.
- Check out a detailed breakdown of Kate Gosselin’s earnings through the years from her appearances on TV as a reality star:
|2007||Jon & Kate Plus 8
|2007||Jon & Kate Plus 8
|2008||Jon & Kate Plus 8
|2009||Jon & Kate Plus 8
|2010||Kate Plus 8 (20 episodes)||$5.0 million|
|2013||Dancing with the Stars||$500,000|
- Kate Gosselin has also authored a few books, which earned her a pretty good lump sum. Her first book was titled Multiple Blessings, which she wrote with Jon Gosselin and Beth Carson. The book was released in 2008 and it sold over 500,000 copies.
- Kate Gosselin’s second and third books; Eight Little Faces and I Just Want You To Know did not do as well as her first, selling around 10,000 copies.
- But Kate Gosselin’s riches were enough for her to buy a sparkling new Audi TT worth $60,000 in 2011!
- Kate Gosselin’s house in Pennsylvania (the one she and her husband shared before the cheating scandal) reportedly cost her a cool $1.3 million.
- As of now, Kate Gosselin’s job is to make sure all her teenagers are getting the best she can provide for them, but with Kate Plus 8 seemingly airing its last episodes in 2017, fans are just waiting for her next move!
- Here is a list of reality celebrities who have made their millions through reality TV, compared to Kate Gosselin.
|Bettheny Frankel||$25.0 million|
|Nicole “Snooki” Polizzi||$4.0 million|
|June Thompson (Mama June)||$1.0 million|
|Farrah Abraham||$1.0 million|
|Kate Gosselin||$200 thousand|
|Heidi Montag||$20 thousand|