Is THIS the New Director for Fast and Furious 8? (Definitely Not What You’re Expecting)
Advertisement

Vin Diesel

While Vin Diesel may be busy with several other projects, his heart is still clearly focused on the Fast and Furious franchise. The Hollywood actor shared a post on Facebook with quite a long message about who the director of the eighth installment may or may not be.

Diesel, 48, shared a photo of him and the director of four of the films from the series (sequels three to six), Justin Lin. In the caption, Diesel wrote about how the two had been discussing making another three films to end the project. But he informed that Lin would be busy with another project and wouldn’t be available to make the eighth movie in time for the release date of April 14, 2017, set by the studio. “This would leave 8 without an obvious go to director…” Diesel added.

The star went on to remind fans about what his mother said six months ago when the release date was first announced: “Either you direct 8 yourself… or don’t do it.” But Diesel said that he wrote it off as his mother’s belief and love in him, despite the fact that she had seen him work on the films to make them “defy expectations” and “become increasingly successful,” even though studio bosses apparently thought he was crazy.

At this point in Vin Diesel’s post, you can’t help but ponder the question: is Diesel going to be the next director? No, unfortunately not. The actor continued to write in the same post that first and foremost they need a script, which is expected in about two weeks, prior to the actor going away to promote his new film Witch Hunter.

He also revealed that he’s pushing for the same director that late co-actor Paul Walker wanted—Rob Cohen, who directed the first movie of the series, The Fast and the Furious. He also said that Cohen would be able to “reset the franchise” and take it back to its roots, which are racing. And given the sensitive issue of Walker’s death, Cohen would know how to handle his character, Brian O’Connor, especially because Cohen (along with David Ayer) is the one who created Walker’s character in the first place.

Diesel ended with a sentimental note to fans, telling them that everyone making the trilogy only wanted the best for it, adding, “Again, we make these films with Our hearts [sic].” The post has since been shared on Facebook almost 4,000 times.

Fellow Fast and the Furious co-star, Tyrese Gibson, was one of the first people to comment on Diesel’s post (and later shared a similar post on his own Facebook page). Gibson praised Vin Diesel for trying to stay true to what Paul Walker would have wanted, which is for Cohen to return to the franchise. But as Gibson put it, “You can’t buy what’s not for sale.” He then added, “I stand here with both of my brothers – whatever the outcome Pablo will know we went as far as we could to do all that he asked of us…” (Walkers’ co-stars often used “Pablo” as a nickname.)

Source:
Vin Diesel’s Facebook page, accessed October 1, 2015.

Advertisement

 
 
 
 

Presented by Revcontent