Gene Wilder’s portrayal of Willy Wonka in the 1971 movie, Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory is one of the actor’s many memorable roles. The eccentric, energetic and charming candy maker from Roald Dahl’s classic children’s novel was brought to life by Wilder’s spectacular acting. The movie, which garnered an almost cult following, has given us some of the funniest and most meaningful one liners to remember Wilder by.
1) “The suspense is terrible… I hope it’ll last”
2) “A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men”
3) “So much time and so little to do. Wait a minute, Strike that. Reverse it. Thank You.”
4) “If the good Lord Intended us to walk, he never would’ve invented roller skates.”
5) “Invention, my dear friends, is 93% perspiration, 6% electricity, 4% evaporation, and 2% butterscotch ripple.”
6) “Where is fancy bred, in the heart or the head?
7) Mrs. Teevee: I assume there’s an accident indemnity clause.
Willy Wonka: Never between friends.
8) “But Charlie, don’t forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he always wanted… He lived happily ever after.”