Mayim Bialik is one of the most recognizable faces on TV right now, but how much do you really know about her? Well, you’re probably aware that she’s on The Big Bang Theory and, depending on your age and/or TV savvy, you may recall that she was the star of the ‘90s sitcom Blossom. But what about outside of her career? Well, luckily for you, the star herself has taken it upon herself to create a video to educate fans on, well, herself!
The actress and neuroscientist (yes, in real life, just like her Big Bang Theory character—and that’s not even one of the things in the video!) took to Instagram to share the latest video for her site, Grok Nation, which she created “for people of all ages and backgrounds to dive deep into conversations on contemporary issues.” The video, titled 5 Things That You’d Be Surprised to Know About Me, has Bialik sharing exactly that, and it’s not just new information for fans; she admits even people in her personal life don’t know all this info!
While fans of the star will want to watch the video themselves, we’ve compiled Mayim Bialik’s five interesting facts below:
1) Despite being a long-time Hollywood actress, she is actually very insecure. She particularly notes that this applies to her appearance, including her face, hair, and even her voice.
2) She grew up in a very small house, explaining that the home only had a single bathroom—and that every story you’ve heard about having an entire family needing to use a single bathroom in the morning are all true!
3) She loves cars, especially sports cars, and drives stick shift. Bialik tells a story about the car she wanted as a teenager, but unfortunately never got, and how despite her love of automobiles, she actually didn’t get a car until the age of 17, about a year after most of her friends and classmates did.
4) Another love the star has is factories, and always takes tours whenever she finds herself in a town with one she’s never seen before. Her favorite saw her learning what went into making the famous “Lousiville Slugger” baseball bat.
5) Finally, she is freaked out by all sorts of creepy-crawlies, such as spiders, cockroaches, lizards, and snakes. She says she’s aware that it’s kind of strange, given that she regularly dissects human brains, but that those brains don’t make it any easier when something gross is crawling along the ground!
If you already knew any of this, you must be a major fan of Mayim Bialik. Hopefully the actress will share more about herself soon! In the meantime, be sure to catch The Big Bang Theory season 9 episode 12 (the show’s mid-season premiere) tonight on CBS at 8 p.m. EST.